Our team is a “one-stop shop” for the management and protection of brand portfolios. Our lawyers provide a comprehensive service for major national and international corporations and government departments in relation to their trade marks, from registration through to litigation.
- an efficient, centralised system for providing instructions and receiving advice regarding trade mark matters, saving clients time, money and worry
- deep experience in all aspects of trade mark management
- the full resources of one of Australia's biggest intellectual property practices supporting the group.
Our dedicated trade marks group provides a comprehensive service to major national and international corporations and government departments.
As your trade mark portfolio expands, you will spend more time in policing deadlines, preparing necessary forms and responding to letters from the Trade Marks Office. We help our clients manage their brand portfolios by offering an efficient, centralised system for providing instructions and receiving advice regarding trade mark matters, using sophisticated trade-marks database software to monitor deadlines and police our clients' entire catalogue.
Our deep experience in trade mark law includes anti-counterfeiting, contract law, litigation and registration procedures, allowing us to help you through all aspects of trade mark protection, from availability searches through to infringement litigation.
One source called the group “technically superb, also measured, commercial and strategic”, while others reported: “The services delivered by Clayton Utz were of the highest quality, delivered in a timely manner by a dedicated team of professionals. They draw on their extensive experience to provide us with clear guidance, presenting our options in a balanced way, taking into account the limited legal expertise within our organisation, and at all times are sensitive to the need to protect our reputation and be true to our values.” (2023). “The Clayton Utz team are incredibly pragmatic and straight to the point. They distil the key issues swiftly and have a sharp understanding of the law in question.” (World Trademark Review 1000, 2023)
Our professional, co-ordinated, service is tailored to suit your needs, and includes:
- conducting prompt and thorough trade mark searches;
- filing and prosecuting trade mark applications, both Australian national applications and international applications under the Madrid Protocol;
- developing creative strategies to protect valuable new aspects of product packaging and promotion;
- advising and acting in relation to oppositions and removal actions;
- developing defensive strategies and conducting infringement actions;
- preparing trade mark licence and distribution agreements;
- advising on internal IP protection policies and procedures; and
- developing branding guidelines and approval processes for all advertising and marketing material, to ensure that your IP is appropriately presented and protected.
Chambers Global: "The Clayton Utz team drew on their extensive experience to provide us with clear guidance, presenting our options in a balanced way, and at all times remained sensitive to the need to protect our reputation and be true to our values." (2022)
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Firm Ranking - Band 1 (2019 - 2022)
Australasian Lawyer: Named a 5-Star Intellectual Property Law Firm
Doyle's Guide: Leading Intellectual Property & TMT law firms - WA (2019)
IAM Patent 1000 - IP Litigation Firm - Silver: National law firm Clayton Utz resolves highly complex contentious matters with aplomb. Renowned for its “very good work”, the group dispenses expert advice on Australian aspects of international patent disputes. A superb reputation has earned it the trust of four of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies. (2021)
Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards: Intellectual Property Team of the Year (2018 and 2022)
Managing IP Asia-Pacific Awards:
- Winner - Trademark (2023)
Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars:
- Trade Mark Prosecution: Tier 2 (2022)
- Trade Mark Contentious: Tier 2 (2022)
World Trademark Review 1000: ranked as "Gold" in Enforcement and Litigation (2023) and ranked as "Silver" in Prosecution and Strategy (2022-2023)