Tim has over 10 years' experience in managing and resolving high stakes disputes that arise in a range of commercial contexts and industry sectors, with a focus on energy and resources (particularly oil and gas) disputes. Tim is also experienced in corporate regulatory (ie. ASIC) investigations and complex insurance disputes.
Tim acts for clients in Supreme and Federal Court litigation, arbitrations, parliamentary inquiries, ASIC prosecutions and internal fraud investigations.
Clients appreciate Tim's in-depth knowledge and practical and commercial approach to achieving timely and cost-effective resolutions.
Read MoreShow Less
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia (2006)
- Bachelor of Science (Zoology), University of Western Australia (2003)
admitted to practice
Western Australia (2008)
Federal and High Courts of Australia (2008)
- Law Society of Western Australia
Expand allCollapse all
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Oil and Gas
- Armada Balnaves Pte Ltd: Tim is acting for Armada Balnaves (a Singaporean registered subsidiary to a Malaysian listed company) in relation to a high-value case in the Supreme Court of Western Australia against Woodside Energy. The case concerns the wrongful termination of an FPSO services agreement due to alleged deficiencies in construction and performance and claims for unpaid milestone payments.
- Atlas Drilling: Tim acted in relation to the Montara Commission of Inquiry and the investigation conducted by NOPSA into the 2009 oil and gas leak on the Montara Wellhead Platform.The matter involved identification and production to the Commission of all relevant documents, preparation of witness statements and submissions and over 20 hearing days.
- Apache Energy: Tim acted in relation to a dispute with a contractor concerning the provision of offshore marine geotechnical investigations and surveys, resulting in a positive settlement for Apache Energy.
- Confidential client: Tim acted for a supplier of offshore mooring equipment in an investigation into allegations of tampering with equipment certificates and inspection reports.
- Confidential client: Tim acted for a contractor in a dispute concerning a services agreement in connection with the Gorgon Project. A favourable settlement was achieved prior to arbitration commencing.
- Alcoa of Australia: Tim acts for Alcoa (whose Australian operations include bauxite mines, alumina refineries and an aluminium smelter) about a variety of contentious matters including in relation to property damage and business interruption insurance claims arising from a 2017 power outage at the Portland Smelter.
- CITIC Pacific Mining/Sino Iron: Tim acted against a contractor concerning fraud, overcharging and the termination of a Manufacture and Supply Agreement relating to the construction of a port.
- FMG: Tim acted for FMG in relation to Federal Court proceedings commenced by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission concerning alleged misleading statements made to the market and associated breach of continuous disclosure obligations.
- Iluka Resources: Tim acted for Iluka against its insurer in proceedings commenced in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in relation to the refusal to indemnify Iluka for loss suffered to a chartered helicopter under an Aviation Non-Ownership Liability Insurance Policy. Iluka was successful in recovering 100% of its losses.
- Wright Prospecting Pty Ltd: Tim has been acting since 2008 in a number of complex disputes against Hancock Prospecting, Rio Tinto and others, concerning royalty entitlements and other claims arising from the extraction of iron ore in the Pilbara region.
Regulatory Investigations and Proceedings
- ASIC: Tim acts for a variety of corporate clients in a wide range of ASIC investigations and proceedings including insider trading allegations, false trading and market rigging, continuous disclosure obligations , and capital fundraising and disclosure.
- Royal Commissions and Commissions of Inquiry: Tim acts for clients responding to Royal Commissions and Commissions of Inquiry, including as part of the large team assisting the Commonwealth Bank Of Australia in the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry. He also acted for Atlas Drilling in the Montara Commission of Inquiry and acted for Magellan Metals in the Parliamentary Inquiry into the cause and extent of lead pollution in the Esperance Area.
See Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Related knowledge information is loading