We advise government and corporate clients on current and emerging policy and regulation intended to:
- reduce the emission of greenhouse gases including through the use of market-based mechanisms and direct action;
- increase sources of renewable energy;
- encourage energy efficiency and emissions abatement projects; and
- adapt to, and protect against, predicted climate change impacts and financial risks.
We regularly advise clients on:
- existing and emerging regulation of green investment and green loans;
- mandatory renewable energy, GHG abatement and direct action schemes;
- voluntary abatement projects and accreditation under related government schemes;
- implications of generating and trading environmental credits under the Financial Services regulation;
- amendments to rules in energy markets such as electricity and gas;
- increased regulatory scrutiny of banks, financial institutions and insurers on the management of climate-related financial risks;
- directors' duties, voluntary disclosure obligations and increasing governance and Board responsibilities;
- clean technology and renewable energy projects; and
- water and waste management aspects of projects.