Intensive Negotiation Skills
Melbourne: 27-28 November 2018
Brisbane: 4-5 December 2018
Sydney: 12-13 December 2018
Auckland: Register your interest
8.15am for 8.30am - 4.30pm
$2,692 per person
$2,423 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$2,288 per person if in a group of three or more
Melbourne: Level 18, 333 Collins Street
Brisbane: Level 28, Riparian Plaza,
71 Eagle Street
Sydney: Level 15, 1 Bligh Street
Auckland: Rydges Auckland,
59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street
Register Download Negotiation Skills Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
Your ability to negotiate effectively and achieve defined objectives is critical to your business success. We’ve all seen unresolved conflicts derail even the most important projects, resulting in costly delays.
This cutting-edge training program is run by Michael Klug AM, one of Australia’s best-known trainers in negotiation, conflict management and dispute resolution. Michael is passionate about helping you and your organisation achieve your business goals through developing your corporate negotiation competency.
The program caters for everyone involved in the negotiation process, from trainees through to senior executives. We offer flexible training options to suit your needs.
What you’ll learn
You’ll emerge from this workshop with a powerful, highly effective and ethical style of negotiation, along with the practical skills and tools to:
- Preserve and enhance personal and commercial relationships
- Increase confidence and reduce stress when resolving conflicts
- Resolve disputes confidentially
- Reduce the costs of resolving conflict
- Increase profitability
- Create value in your negotiations
- Achieve optimal commercial outcomes.
Even though the focus is on conflict resolution and commercial negotiation, many participants have referred to it as a life skills program.
“Thank you for such a
brilliant training program.
The experience was not only
career enhancing, but life
A recent participant
Who should attend?
All levels in business and government who wish to improve their negotiating performance. It’s strongly recommended for those in management roles.
What we'll cover
This two-day workshop is one of our most popular, because it gives you an intricate understanding of the negotiation process through to techniques of closing a deal.
On day one we’ll explore the core theory and practice of negotiation, focusing on your individual negotiation style and how negotiations work.
On day two you’ll learn how to make strategic decisions and position yourself in negotiations using highly practical and usable skills. You’ll be offered unique insights into why negotiation can be a counterintuitive discipline and when you should trust your instincts – and when you shouldn’t.
Day one: Core Negotiation Skills
Creating value not distributing value.
- Defining and understanding negotiation
- The two primary approaches
- Negotiation simulation
- How to manage the principal tensions of negotiation
- Biases affecting judgment
- Slow thinking vs fast thinking – Kahneman’s dual process theory
- Techniques for exercising sound judgment
- Ethical styles of negotiation
- Identify your individual style of negotiation (the result is confidential)
- How to adjust your negotiating style to suit the situation
- Characteristics of an effective negotiator
- Proficiency – identify your strengths and weaknesses (the result is confidential)
- Self-managed outcomes
- Bargaining – the contrast between distributive and integrative methods
- Strategies and tactics of integrative bargaining
- The green credit approach.
Day two: Strategic Negotiation Skills
From desolation to resolution, stalemate to good mate.
- Multi-party, multi-issue negotiations – a disciplined approach
- Negotiation simulation
- The six most common mistakes made by negotiators
- Checklists before closure
- How to plan for negotiation through a process of disciplined and methodical preparation – negotiation worksheet
- The benefits of MESOs (Multiple Equivalent Simultaneous Offers)
- Diagnostic checklist – a crucial discipline for closing a negotiation
- An unconditionally constructive strategy for dealing with difficult people
- How to manage team negotiations
- Negotiating about negotiation
- Re-booting – a unique process which negates your counterparty’s starting point
- Slow forward controlled momentum – impasse vs uncontrolled escalation
- Electronic connectivity – pluses and minuses
- Listening – what to do and how to do it
- How to manage streamed input and the biases that arise
- How to close.
Golden Rules of Negotiation
Throughout the workshop Michael will reveal the most important rules of negotiation and why no one can afford to ignore them.
Negotiator's toolkit – the nuts and bolts
Michael will arm you with a highly practical toolkit including:
- A negotiation worksheet to guide you through the negotiation planning process
- Checklists for effectively preparing for negotiation
- A constructive strategy for breaking through difficult negotiations.
"Michael's negotiation worksheet is extremely useful. It's been in regular use with our EBA discussions, a major customer complaint and a new contract agreement." – A recent participant
Making it real
Michael is widely known for his engaging and stimulating workshops. He goes beyond theory by injecting his workshops with real-life war stories and interactive simulations. This means you'll gain highly practical skills which you can immediately apply back at work.
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of Michael's program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on him for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call him at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.
“The workshop was fantastic and the follow-up service has been first-class!” – A recent participant.
Responsive to your needs
The workshop is highly interactive and focused therefore please email us your training objectives before the workshop.
For group bookings of five or more, Michael offers a pre-workshop discussion to scope the group's requirements. He also offers groups a no-cost confidential coaching session which can be held during the lunch breaks or immediately after the workshop on each day.
What our clients say
“This has been the best and
most practical workshop I
have ever done.”
“Your program was extremely
invigorating and useful.
It has given me some great
skills to utilise in my day-to-day
work. I’ll definitely
recommend it to others.”
“I found the course informative and it provided an excellent set of tools to assist in commercial negotiation. I thoroughly enjoyed Michael’s engaging and humorous style. His knowledge and experience came through in the case studies and anecdotes he shared with the group.”
"Michael’s intellect, level of
engagement and direct method of knowledge transfer is outstanding."
"I feel like a new person at work (and at home). The course
has had an amazing impact on me."
"One of the best courses I've attended. It provided tools
that will make a significant impact on my performance."
"Michael is a dynamic speaker who clearly communicates the
intricacies of negotiation and provides great real-life examples and
"I enjoyed learning from someone who clearly believes in and
is passionate about his work."
“It is the best few days
education I’ve had...
anywhere...period. You won’t