Get in touch information is loading
This workshop provides an introduction to the theory, practice and procedure of giving expert evidence and will de-mystify the process.
Who should attend The Expert Witness workshop?
Anyone expecting to be called to offer opinion evidence in a court or tribunal, for example:
- Town Planners
- Soils Scientists
- Technical experts
- Medical experts.
What we'll cover
- Introduction to the court system – the adversarial system overview and understanding the role of an expert witness
- Expert v Lay Witnesses – the five key rules for expert evidence and how they impact on your task
- The roles expert witnesses perform
- What do lawyers want to know? Getting and accepting the retainer and conferencing with lawyers
- Legal professional privilege
- The ten commandments and subsequent witness codes (on preparing expert evidence)
- Conclaves, hot tubs and joint expert reports
- Report preparation – tightening it up and structuring your CV
- Life after the report
- Evidence introduction
- Presentation issues
- Giving evidence
- Dealing with cross-examination
- Avoiding the hand grenades and raising credibility
- A practical courtroom simulation.
What you'll learn
- Familiarisation with the process and learning what lawyers want from their experts
- Identifying protocols for controlling privilege (where possible)
- Learning how to effectively deal with or diffuse cross-examination.
8.45am for 9.00am - 4.30pm
Cost: Inc GST
$1,374 per person
$1,237 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$1,168 per person if in a group of three or more
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Full Program Brochure Subscribe
What our clients say about The Expert Witness workshop
"Good insight into what will be involved. Worth applying a lot of the information to general work practice as well as expert witness work."
"Excellent workshop. Lots of real life examples, really interesting content and always felt engaged."
"The cross-examination was most valuable – the workshop is very worthwhile."
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.