Jennifer is a senior Partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency practice with nearly 30 years' experience. She is a recognised leader and expert in restructuring and insolvency, debt recovery and general commercial dispute resolution.
Her focus on the recent insolvency law reforms ‒ having made many submissions to the Federal Government and regularly presented on the safe harbour and ipso facto law reforms ‒ positions her to proactively identify and advise on the full spectrum of legal issues in a restructure scenario, including devising any restructuring plan.
Jennifer regularly advises boards in relation to the financial restructuring or turnaround of distressed companies, and also acts for lenders and creditors to assist them in managing their credit risks. As a recognised expert on directors' duties and shadow directorship, she frequently presents to universities, Government agencies, professional bodies, large corporations and members of the legal profession.
Expand allCollapse all
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Vocation Limited: Jennifer advised the company on its successful restructuring of $85 million of debt which stabilised Vocation's finances. This allowed Vocation to commence its turnaround plan whereby Vocation would expand through an organic growth strategy and student enrolments in Vocation's remaining business.
- Waratah Train Public Private Partnership (PPP) restructure: Jennifer advised and acted with a cross disciplinary team for the NSW Government and its agencies, including RailCorp, in successful negotiations with existing equity investors and financial guarantors which resulted in a financial debt restructure of the Reliance Rail (Waratah Trains) transaction (including debt of $2.4 billion).
- Brookfield Infrastructure restructure: Jennifer advised the Board of Brookfield Infrastructure (formerly Prime Infrastructure (formerly Babcock and Brown Infrastructure Limited)) in relation to the WestNet AET&D Holdings $5.1 billion recapitalisation and restructure of Prime's holdings in AET&D and CSC.
- Hilton Surfers Paradise restructure: Jennifer advised Brookfield Multiplex with a team of specialists on various insolvency issues in connection with the restructure of the acquisition and project finance for the $420m Hilton Surfers Paradise project following the collapse of the Raptis Group. The restructure involved innovative structuring and utilised a pre-pack voluntary administration process.
- Dick Smith Electronics: Acting for a secured creditor/supplier in relation to their interests in the administration/liquidation of the electronic goods chain Dick Smith, which had 390 stores under four brands.
- Oroton Group: Jennifer is advising the voluntary administrators appointed to the Oroton Group on various discrete insolvency issues in the administration of the Oroton Group.
- Hastie Group liquidation: Jennifer is advising Grocon in relation to the Federal Court of Australia proceedings commenced by the liquidators in relation to Grocon's ability to set off against their liability.
- Arrium Limited: Jennifer was the lead advisor of a cross disciplinary team to the Board of Arrium Limited on the company's Strategic Review and $1.2 billion recapitalisation and the company's subsequent voluntary administration.
- Custom Coaches: Jennifer advised the voluntary administrators/liquidators of the Custom Coaches Group, the second largest and most established bus manufacturer with more than 400 employees; annual sales of £55m, and 24% share of the Australian bus market..
See Restructuring and Insolvency
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Banksia Securities Limited: Jennifer is advising Trust Co., on discrete insolvency issues in Supreme Court of Victoria proceedings, as the trustee of Banksia Securities Limited (Receiver and Managers Appointed)(In Liquidation), an unlisted public company involved in raising approximately $663 million from 15,622 investors by issuing debentures and lending the funds raised to borrowers for property investment and development purposes. It had raised approximately $663 million from 15,622 investors..
- ABC Learning Centres: Jennifer advised Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia in relation to the high-profile recovery action in the Supreme Court of New South Wales against ABC Learning Centres (in liquidation) (receivers and managers appointed) for recovery of damages after investing $70m just prior to the demise of ABC Learning Centres.
- Prime Retirement and Aged Care Trust: Jennifer advised and acted for the receivers and managers in Supreme Court of Victoria public examinations of directors and other professional advisers who had been appointed to Australian Property Custodian Holdings Limited as responsible entity for The Prime Retirement and Aged Care Trust. It was Australia's third largest owner of retirement units and aged care beds and had a reported loss of almost $225m.
See Litigation and Dispute Resolution