Gareth's practice focus is commercial litigation/arbitration, alternative dispute resolution and complex dispute management strategies. He has extensive experience in conducting large, multi-layered commercial disputes.
Gareth acts for resource companies, financiers, major corporations, administrators and liquidators, government owned corporations and government instrumentalities in a wide range of disputes, as well as for banks and other financiers in complex commercial litigation and also in matters involving the investigation powers of regulatory bodies such as the ASIC.
Read MoreShow Less
- IFLR1000: Recognised as a leading lawyer in Restructuring and Insolvency (2011-2020)
- Best Lawyers Australia: Voted by peers as one of Australia's Best Lawyers in Litigation (2009-2021)
Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology (1991)
Advocacy Training Course, Queensland Law Society
admitted to practice
New South Wales
High Court of Australia
Expand allCollapse all
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Foster's Group Limited: Gareth acted for the Foster's Group in defending proceedings brought by the Liquidator of the Emanuel Group of Companies. This complex matter involved litigation in the Supreme Courts of both South Australia and Queensland and in the Federal Court of Australia as well as investigations by the ASIC.
- Public Trustee of Queensland: Providing general insolvency and litigation advice as well as strategic advice in relation to a number of complex commercial/insolvency matters including the liquidation of Octaviar Limited (formerly MFS Limited). Octaviar has been one of the largest and longest-running collapses in Australian corporate history.
- Monto Minerals: Gareth represented the administrators and deed administrators of the Monto Group in a sale program for the assets of the Group, implementing the Deeds of Company Arrangement and advisingon the successful recapitalisation of the listed entity (a shell recapitalisation as opposed to a corporate recapitalisation).
- Building materials manufacturer: Gareth acted in a complex preference recovery action by the liquidator of Australian Building Industries Pty Ltd involving section 588FF of the Corporations Act and the rights of parties affected by orders obtained ex parte to have orders set aside.
See Restructuring and Insolvency
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Tarong Energy: Gareth conducted the defence of Federal Court of Australia proceedings involving a claim by a potential fuel supplier alleging our client had misused its market power in relation to acquisition of future coal supplies.
- Bank of Queensland: This was a complex claim brought against BOQ arising out of a failed joint venture to replace its fleet of ATMs. The action involved proceedings in the New South Wales and Queensland Supreme Courts.
- Magellan Metals: Gareth acted in respect of a major environmental incident including representing his client in an associated parliamentary inquiry.
- Wright Prospecting: Representing Wright Prospecting in relation to a series of disputes regarding that company's interest in iron ore deposits in the Pilbara. These complex matters involve multiple disputes in relation to a range of assets.
- Alcan Alumina: Acted for Alcan in relation to a complex valuation and stamp duty dispute involving the Gove Alumina Refinery. This matter was ultimately resolved in the High Court and is an ongoing authority with respect to "land rich" transactions and taxation/duties law.
See Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Related knowledge information is loading