Brendon is a Partner in our Tax Practice, with over 20 years' experience advising on a broad range of tax issues in the areas of infrastructure, property and M&A. He advises governments, funds (both local and foreign) and Australian companies on managing tax issues in the context of transactions.
Brendon has worked on significant, large-scale and complex matters for clients such as Palisade Investment Partners, Plenary Group, Sixth Street Partners, Dexus and Goldman Sachs.
He is often sought after by clients on his expertise in providing commercial tax advice specifically in infrastructure and property.
Read MoreShow Less
- Best Lawyers Australia voted by peers as on of Australia's Best Lawyers in: Tax (2023)
- Master of Tax, Taxation, University of Auckland (First class Hons) (2000)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Waikato (1994)
admitted to practice
- New Zealand (1994)
- New South Wales (2001)
- Fellow of the Tax Institute of Australia
Expand allCollapse all
Infrastructure and property
- AirTrunk: Advised on the restructure and sell down of cornerstone investors. With a $3bn enterprise value, differing needs of foreign investors and significant Australian taxation and Foreign Investment Review Board oversight (given the assets were highly secure data centres), the tax structure needed to be robust, commercial, agile and able to be executed upon. The completion of the transaction occurred in 2020 with all parties involved achieving optimal outcomes that were approved by the regulator, proving commercial certainty.
- Transurban: Advised on Transurban on the A$1.9 billion acquisition of the Airport tollroad, including integration and restructuring of Queensland Motorway Group. The last toll road acquisition which has enabled the company to have equity stake in all six Brisbane toll roads, six out of eight in NSW and one out of two in Victoria.
- Plenary Group: Advised Plenary Group in respect of many public/private partnerships ensuring the needs of different financial investors could be accommodated within a bid structure consistent with State objectives.
- AustralianSuper: Advised AustralianSuper on the $A16.18 billion acquisition of Ausgrid.
- Queensland Government: Advised Queensland Government on the proposed privatisation of a water pipeline business.
- Blackrock, Palisade, Northleaf, Infrared, Canadian Solar: Advised Blackrock, Palisade, Northleaf, Infrared, Canadian Solar and others on the successful acquisition and divestment of renewable assets.
- DEXUS: Advised on the $1.2bn acquisition of 80 Collins Street from Queensland Investment Corporation.
- Brookfield: Advising on the establishment of an Australian-based property fund ensuring flexibility for investors from all major trading partners can be efficiently accommodated.
Mergers and acquisitions
In addition to the above major transactions:
- Keppel Corporation: Advised Keppel Infrastructure Trust A$777 million acquisition of Ixom chemical distributors.
- Goldman Sachs, TPG and Airtrunk: Advised on the divestment of certain investors to Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets fund of the Airtrunk data centre business.
Related knowledge information is loading