With a strong international practice, Tim Sackar specialises in business restructuring, distressed investing and insolvency. He is also a leader of our Alternate Investment Funds practice.
He has been involved in numerous significant matters in Asia, Australia and the UK, advising debtors, financial creditors, sponsors, bondholders and directors on all aspects of restructurings, workouts and cross-border insolvencies. Timothy has extensive experience in advising on distressed investments and restructuring strategies generally, voluntary and compulsory insolvency regimes, trading of debt for distressed or par values and the sale of non-performing loan portfolios.
He also advises insolvency practitioners on their appointments, duties and the disposal of assets of the estate.
Expand allCollapse all
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Network Ten: Advised the security trustee of the Network Ten financing syndicate in respect of the receivership and subsequent sale to CBS.
- Reliance Rail: Advised the two monoline insurers (Syncora Guarantee Inc. and FGIC UK Limited) that had credit wrapped Reliance Rail's entire $2 billion debt profile to secure a successful restructuring/refinancing of the debt.
- Emeco merger: Advised the facility agent and the security trustee of the Orionstone financing syndicate on the merger and restructuring of Emeco, Orionstone and Andy's Earthmovers.
- Redbank Power Project: Advised the facility agent and the security trustee of the lending syndicate on the restructuring of the project.
- Nine Entertainment: Advised various investments funds in relation to the loan and security documents, as well as the restructuring proposal implemented by scheme of arrangement.
- Griffin Coal: Tim is advising a major foreign institution in the group's insolvency and related sales process.
- Austcorp Group: Tim advised a major foreign institution in regard to the group's restructuring and insolvency.
- Insurance and reinsurance: Tim advised n a number of matters regarding the wind down or merger of insurance portfolios with the use of voluntary or compulsory insolvency regimes, schemes of arrangement or negations, including matters for HIH group, Bupa, IAG and SunLife.
See Restructuring and Insolvency
Alternate Investment Funds
Regularly leads investor and/or restructuring mandates for alternate capital providers, hedge funds and/or foreign investors in relation to the provision of or investment in debt facilities, convertible notes and/or instruments of a similar nature, including the restructuring of these instruments and their conversion from debt to equity.
See Alternate Investment Funds