Simon Bowden is a Special Counsel practising taxation law within the Melbourne Office.
Simon has a broad range of experience in taxation law, including procurement agreements, mergers and restructures, financing, capital gains tax, international tax, employment taxes, state taxes and audit management and resolution. He has acted for listed companies, large privately-held businesses, government entities and non-profits in a range of large and complex matters in a variety of industries, including the energy and resources, financial, industrial manufacturing, construction and racing industries.
Simon has also practised in Clayton Utz's Energy & Resources group. He has advised regulators, electricity generators, gas producers and energy retailers in relation to issues under state and national energy regulatory frameworks, including business acquisitions, licensing, registration and exemptions, retail obligations, negotiations with network service providers and customers, and development of infrastructure.
Simon also has experience in relation to climate change initiatives.
Expand allCollapse all
Arrium Limited (formerly OneSteel Limited and Smorgon Steel Group Limited): advised on a range of tax-related issues, including:
- advised Smorgon Steel Group Limited on its merger with OneSteel Limited;
- advised on reviews and audits by the Australian Taxation Office;
- advised on employment, financing, internal restructure, GST and resource tax issues.
Ridley Corporation Limited: advised on a range of tax-related issues, including sale of Cheetham Salt Limited.
Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited: advised on a range of tax-related issues, including sponsorship arrangements, GST and Luxury Car Tax matters.
Origin Energy: advised on a range of issues, including Origin's successful bid in the privatisation of the New South Wales electricity industry, acquisition and sale of joint venture interests, and electricity and gas contracts.
Commonwealth Department of the Treasury: advised in relation to certain aspects of the Minerals Resource Rent Tax.
AquaSure Consortium (Victorian Desalination Plant): advised in respect of carbon tax, the Renewable Energy Target scheme, Victorian Energy Efficiency Target scheme, issues relating to licensing and registration under energy regulatory frameworks and contractual arrangements for high-voltage electricity infrastructure.
Monash University and La Trobe University: advised in relation to tax issues associated with various employment matters.
Linking Melbourne Authority: advised Linking Melbourne Authority on a number of income tax and GST issues associated with EastLink and other projects.
VicRoads: acted in a number of income tax and GST issues that have arisen over the course of the CityLink project.
- advising private groups and high net wealth individuals on a range of tax issues, including structuring, succession planning, M&A transactions, reviews and audits by tax authorities and voluntary disclosures to tax authorities.
- advising government entities on the income tax, GST and stamp duty implications of supplies and grants to, and acquisitions from, the private sector, including construction, employment and supply contracts.
- advised insolvency practitioners on income tax, GST and stamp duty implications of transactions.
- advising government entities on infrastructure partnerships with the private sector, including the impact of tax-preferred asset financing provisions of the income tax legislation.
- advising both corporate groups and financiers in relation to general corporate financing and associated tax issues, including international tax matters.
Simon advises charities and non-profit entities in relation to tax concessions and the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.