Expand allCollapse all
APLNG – Australia Pacific LNG development: Mark advised on the tax aspects of the US$8.5 billion project finance facility for the development of the Australia Pacific LNG coal seam gas to liquefied natural gas project in Queensland, Australia. Although the particular details remain confidential, suffice to say the extraordinarily high capital cost of the project gave rise to sophisticated and complex tax issues.
Macquarie Bank: Mark advised on the income tax, stamp duty and GST implications of Macquarie's acquisition of the Esanda dealer finance portfolio from ANZ for $8.23 billion.
Barrick Gold Corporation: Mark is a trusted adviser to Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold miner. He has advised in relation to Australian income tax, GST and stamp duty implications arising from on numerous transactions and projects in which they have been involved. This includes advising:
- as Australian counsel to Barrick Gold Corporation, on its successful A$7.1 billion bid to acquire ASX and TSX listed Equinox Minerals Limited;
- on the strategic partnership with Zijin Mining Group Co. The advice given assisted Barrick in establishing their presence in Papua New Guinea and access resources in that market. The transactions were completed successful, dealing with the significant cross-border tax issues that were presented;
- on its acquisition and integration of the Place Domer into its Australian operations. Tax advice included complex integration issues such as tax consolidations and capital gains tax; and
- on its raising US$1.25 billion in two tranches pursuant to Rule 144A from the US capital markets.This issue was successfully completed on an extremely tight timetable and involved implementation of an exchange note based structure.
Canadian Pension Funds: Mark provided advice to various Canadian pension funds and government entities on foreign pension fund and sovereign immunity aspects of Australian Investment including obtaining a private binding ruling.
The Hunger Project: Mark ran this case successfully at Federal Court and Full Federal Court establishing a precedent for charitable institutions whose primary focus is fundraising to qualify any public benevolent institutions.
Saputo: Mark advised on recent transactions, including:
- the $1.3 billion acquisition of Murray Goulburn and consequent deposition transactions; and
- the acquisition of King Island Dairy.
Singtel Optus: Mark advised Singtel Optus, on its issue of US$500 million 10-year Regulation S EMTNs.
Virgin: Mark advised on the lease by Virgin of a 737 aircraft.
Western Sydney University: Mark is acting in relation to the campus redevelopment initiatives.