25 Jun 2015
Have your say on Queensland’s State Infrastructure Plan
by Kathryn Pacey, Nicole Besgrove, David Lester
The Directions Paper will set the strategic direction, foster innovation, and develop a sustainable and credible pipeline of investment for Queensland infrastructure.
Feedback is being sought by the Queensland Government on the Delivering an infrastructure plan for Queensland directions paper which outlines the Government’s approach to delivering on its commitment to develop a State Infrastructure Plan in early 2016.
Comments on the Directions Paper are due before 1 July 2015 and can be emailed to [email protected].
What will the State Infrastructure Plan do?
The Directions Paper provides that the purpose of the State Infrastructure Plan is to:
- set the strategic direction and foster innovation in Government’s planning, investment and delivery of infrastructure;
- identify the anticipated service needs and infrastructure investment opportunities for a prosperous Queensland;
- develop a sustainable and credible pipeline of investment for industry, drawing on the independent advice of Building Queensland and input from government agencies; and
- provide context to enable greater co-ordination between public and private.
The Plan will be an overarching document with Infrastructure Plans to follow at the local government level.
The Plan would focus on State Government-led (including Government Owned Corporations) significant economic and social infrastructure including road, rail, port, airports, energy, water, health, education, digital, safety, art and cultural and recreational infrastructure.
It will also recognise private projects – infrastructure that is a co-ordinated project under the State Development and Public Works Organisation Act 1971 will form the basis of non-state government projects in the Plan.
The two components of the infrastructure pipeline will be:
- what infrastructure is planned over the next four years; and
- future infrastructure opportunities and challenges on the horizon over a 4-15+ year timeframe.
The timeline for the Directions Paper
The timeline for the Plan is to be finalised and updated following on from the release of the Directions Paper:
- Comments on Directions Paper close: 1 July 2015
- Draft State Infrastructure Plan released for consultation: late 2015
- Final State Infrastructure Plan: early 2016
- First annual update: mid-2017 (in line with budget cycle).
You might also be interested in...