Leisure and Entertainment
With a focus on gaming, wagering, liquor, property, racing and other sports, entertainment, sponsorships and sports media, the national Leisure and Entertainment group advises industry participants as they face the pressures of increased regulation in an ever-changing industry.
You'll get a full range of services needed by the Leisure & Entertainment sector, including corporate, general commercial, trade practices, litigation, taxation and property advice.
An intimate and unparalleled understanding of the industry and its players
We've got first-hand knowledge of the law and strong relationships with key policy-makers, regulators and participants through our experience advising on legislation and acting for national and international participants both in significant transactions and on a day-to-day basis.
This gives our approachable and responsive advisers a long-term understanding of our clients' businesses, and the edge when it comes to devising innovative solutions for the most complex issues.
Read MoreShow Less
The national Clayton Utz Leisure and Entertainment group has built a reputation advising clients on the challenges of this rapidly changing industry. We recognise that, across this range of sectors, our clients have common issues. We've got the experience and knowledge to help you with all of your needs – from mergers and acquisitions to commercial litigation to taxation, to property to trade practices, and general commercial advice.
Our team is at the forefront of all industry developments, having advised in the development of legislation and policy-making processes in all Australian States and Territories, as well as overseas. We have built our specialist knowledge in various sub-markets by acting in some of the most high-profile and technically complex transactions and matters in recent years.
We build strong relationships with our clients over time because of our deep industry knowledge, responsiveness and dependability. With the benefit of our experience, we are able to hit the ground running in any matter, resulting in efficiencies and cost savings for our clients. There is no learning curve.
Our clients include wagering and gaming operators, racing industry participants, hotels, clubs, sports media companies, property developers, funds managers, liquor vendors and licensees, totalisator operators, bookmakers, lottery organisations, government bodies and authorities, sports clubs and governing bodies, and other participants from all sectors of the industry.
- Australian Racing Board/Harness Racing Council/Thoroughbred Breeders Association – Equine Influenza Inquiry: We acted for the ARB in the Callinan Inquiry into the outbreak of equine influenza in Australia.
- UNiTAB/Tattersall's – Merger: We acted for Tattersall's in its A$4.4 billion merger with UNiTAB.
- NSW Racing Industry – Industry Reform and TAB Privatisation: We acted on behalf of thethree codes of racing in NSW in relation to the complex reform of the industry including the privatisation of the NSW TAB.
- Casino Control AuthoritySydney Casino Project: We acted for the Authority in this complex project, including the structuring, negotiating and documenting of the transaction.
- Tattersall's – ASX Listing: We acted for the Tattersall's Group in its A$2.4 billon listing on the ASX.
- ThoroughVisioN Pty Ltd – Various matters: We have advised TVN over a number of years on various matters including litigation and Federal Court proceedings.
- ALH/Woolworths – Acquisition of Taverner Group: We acted on the ALH/WOW A$383 million acquisition of the Taverner Hotel Group.
- Queensland Government – Sale of Golden Casket: We acted for the Queensland Government on the sale of management rights including right to profits over Golden Casket Lottery Corporation Limited, involving transfer of all shares in the company to the acquirer.
- Various racing clients: We provide advice and act in a wide variety of matters on an ongoing basis for a number of racing clients including Australian Racing Board, Racing Victoria, GRNSW, HRNSW, and Brisbane Racing Club.
- Legislation, rules, regulations and licences: We have advised on virtually all gaming, wagering and racing laws in all States and Territories of Australia (and many overseas) and often involved in commenting upon and drafting of relevant legislation. Examples in NSW include the Casino Control Act, Totalisator Act, Lotto Act, Responsible Gambling Act, Unlawful Gaming Act, Racing Administration Act and Race Fields Legislation.
- Reviews, reports and submissions: We have represented many clients in drafting submissions in respect of various government reviews, reports and legislative proposals. Some examples are: the National Competition Policy (NCP) review of gambling legislation in NSW, the Responsible Gambling Act (NSW), the Productivity Commission report into Australia's Gambling Industry, the Senate Committee's "Netbets" report, the Moratorium Act, the Interactive Gambling Act, Cross Border Betting Taskforce Report, Betting Exchange Taskforce Report, Victorian Lotteries Review, Victorian Gaming Machine and Wagering Review, Race Fields Legislation, and the NSW Cameron Review of racing industry funding.
- Stadiums Queensland – Gabba/Tennis Centre Development: We have acted for Stadiums Queensland in relation to the Gabba and the new Tennis Centre at Tennyson.
- Noosa Springs Resort - Property and Licensing Advice: Noosa Springs is a partially developed residential and golf course/leisure destination close to Noosa Beach. We have advised the resort owners for more than 10 years on residential titling (including titling design), golf course by-laws and rules, liquor licensing, residential sales (including preparation of agreements) and real estate agent licensing and appointment issues.
- Skylan Development - Seoul Development: We acted for Skylan Development on its US$3 billion development including a 4-5 star hotel, office towers, and a retail development of 140,000 square meters in the commercial centre of Seoul, Korea.
- Istithmar Hotels FZE – Park Hyatt EOI: We acted on behalf of Istithmar Hotels FZE in the drafting and submission of an expression of interest for the acquisition of the Park Hyatt Sydney.
- Accor – Novotel Twin and Sofitel Wentworth Hotels: Partner advised Accor on its major hotels acquisitions and developments including the acquisitions of Novotel Twin and Sofitel Wentworth Sydney.
- PBL – Casino Developments and Casino Bid: Partner advised on key development and joint venture risks in relation to its Crown Macau and City of Dreams Casino developments. Also advised on PBL's casino bid.
- Carlson Hotels – Radisson Hotel: Partner acted for Carlson Hotels on the joint venture development of a Radisson hotel on Denarau Island Fiji. This matter had complicated pooled investment ownership structure and involved complex leasing and licensing to permit Radisson to operate the hotel.
- Valad Funds Management Limited – Acquisition of Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa: We advised in the recent A$93 million acquisition of the Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa, a five star hotel currently managed by Starwood Hotel and Resorts Group.
- National Leisure & Gaming Limited – Acquisitions of Grant Samuel Hotel Portfolio and the IRIS Hotel Group: Advised on NLG's A$80 million acquisition of the ten leasehold hotels from the Grant Samuel Laundy Pub Fund. We advised on all aspects of the transaction, including the acquisition documentation, due diligence, shareholder approval process, funding arrangements, management changes and general corporate advice. We also acted for National Leisure and Gaming Limited in relation to its A$40 million acquisition of the IRIS Hotel Group.
- Club Gaming Systems (AWA) - Club Keno Project: acted for the operator in the establishment, development, provision, management and operation of the computerised Keno game in registered clubs throughout NSW.
Get in Touch
Get in touch information is loading
Related knowledge information is loading