Statutory Interpretation (Melbourne)
||Melbourne: 10 October 2018
8.45am for 9.00am - 12.45pm
$673 per person
$606 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$572 per person if in a group of three or more
Melbourne: Level 18, 333 Collins Street
||Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
Legislation underpins most government activities, yet Acts and legislative instruments are becoming longer and more complex, and judicial approaches to their interpretation continue to evolve. Statutory interpretation is not only a core skill for all government lawyers, it is a useful competency for any public sector employee who deals regularly with legislation.
This workshop outlines key principles of statutory interpretation, and the issues that arise in practice and in the courts, and provides insights and methods to assist you to efficiently and effectively get to the legal meaning of legislation.
Who should attend?
- Government lawyers
- Public sector employees involved in the development or administration of legislation.
What we’ll cover
- Principles of statutory interpretation and their sources
- Purpose, context and the modern approach to interpretation
- Interpretation of Legislation Act 1984
- Section 32 of the Charter and other interpretation provisions
- Common law and syntactical presumptions
- Practical exercises – finding the legal meaning of statutes.
What you’ll learn
- An understanding of the key principles of statutory interpretation
- The ability to apply an structured approach to interpreting legislation
- An understanding of when to seek legal advice.
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.