Statutory Delegations and Authorisations (Melbourne)
||Melbourne: 8 August 2018
8.45am for 9.00am - 12.45pm
$673 per person
$606 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$572 per person if in a group of three or more
Melbourne: Level 18, 333 Collins Street
||Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
Delegations are the principal means by which functions and powers are devolved through, and sometimes outside, public sector organisations. Most public sector employees perform their functions pursuant to some form of delegation arrangements. Yet the consequences of defects in a delegation or a person exceeding the scope of their authorisation can be severe.
This session will focus on statutory delegations and authorisations. We'll outline the legal principles governing devolution of authority within departments and agencies, explore some of the pitfalls and provide practical guidance about how to avoid them.
Who should attend?
- Government lawyers
- Public sector employees who draft or administer delegations and authorisations
- Public sector employees who exercise delegated power.
What we’ll cover
- Sources of authority – legislative and executive power
- Types of delegations and authorisations
- Interpretation Act provisions
- Delegation and agency
- Drafting and administering delegations
- Defective delegations and their consequences
- Practical exercise – making robust delegations and authorisations.
What you’ll learn
You'll emerge with:
- An understanding of the key legal principles relating to delegated authority
- An understanding of the consequences of inadequate authority
- Tips for managing risks.
What our clients say
"Excellent technical detail for this important government topic."
"Some good practical guidance and things to remember."
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.