Introduction to Right to Information, Information Privacy and Public Records
Get in touch information is loading
The regulatory framework surrounding the amendment, access, storage and management of government information has been the subject of significant reform in recent times.
This workshop will provide you with an understanding of the regulatory frameworks established by the Right to Information Act 2009 (Qld) (RTI Act), the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) and the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld). It will explore the key elements of the three Acts and provide you with an understanding of the how they inter-relate and operate to collectedly establish the Queensland Government’s information law regulatory framework.
Who should attend our Right to Information, Information Privacy and Public Records workshop?
- Information / Right to Information (RTI) officers and decision-makers
- Officers responsible for recordkeeping and file management
- In-house lawyers
- Corporate services managers and staff
- Operations managers
- Human resources managers.
What we'll cover
- The application to Government entities
- Key concepts and definitions
- The application process including the procedures in
processing and application
- The exemption process and the key exemptions
- The public interest test exemptions
- Role and powers of the Information Commissioner
- Recent developments and emerging issues.
Information Privacy Act
- Government agencies and entities subject to the Act
- Key concepts and definitions
- Chapter 2 – Privacy Principles
- Chapter 3 – Personal information access and amendment regime
- The exemption process and key exemptions
- Available exemptions under Chapter 3
- Privacy complaints
- Roles and powers of the Information Commissioner.
Public Records Act
- What is a record?
- Managing electronic messages and electronic records
- Role of the State Archivist
- Information Standards and Best Practice Guidelines
- Other record-keeping models
- Other legal issues that affect recordkeeping.
Relationship between the RTI, Information Privacy Act, and Public Records Act
- Key aspects and issues arising from the relationship.
- Emerging issues
- Key issues emerging from information law across the broader Queensland public sector and beyond.
What you'll learn
You’ll develop an understanding of:
- The Queensland Government information law regulatory framework including the operation of the RTI, Information Privacy and Public Records Acts
- The relationship between the three Acts
- The emerging issues and trends in the information law context.
8.45am for 9.00am - 4.30pm
$1,374 per person
$1,237 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$1,168 per person if in a group of three or more
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
What our clients say about our Right to Information, Information Privacy and Public Records workshop
"The workshop had great depth and is one that I will recommend highly to others in my organisation. The resources provided are good quality and I look forward to applying them at work."
"Fantastic, knowledgeable presenter with a great training style who make what could be dry material really interesting. Great ability to work with students with various levels of experience."
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.