Immunities and Privileges of Parliament and Government – Register your interest
Get in touch information is loading
The workshop provides an overview of a range of privileges and immunities available to government departments and agencies including parliamentary privileges, public interest immunity, and legal professional privilege. We’ll explore the principles behind these privileges, and when and how they can be used.
Who should attend our Immunities and Privileges of Parliament and Government workshop?
- Government lawyers
- Senior government officers who make advanced decisions
- Anyone who is involved in providing advice or briefing notes to Ministers or senior decision-makers.
What we'll cover
- Public interest immunity in relation to the presentation of documents or information to Parliament or the Courts
- Parliamentary powers to conduct inquiries and punish contempt
- Guidance for witnesses giving evidence to Parliament
- Parliamentary immunity from civil or criminal action
- Legal professional privilege
- Common interest privilege
- Joint privilege
- Privilege issues when dealing with third parties
- Recent case studies.
What you'll learn
You’ll develop an understanding of:
- The key principles behind parliamentary privilege, public interest immunity and legal professional privilege
- How parliamentary privilege may intersect with your work in the public sector
- How and when to claim public interest immunity in response to requests or orders from a Court or by Parliament for the production of documents
- When parliamentary inquiries may be called and how to respond
- The elements of legal professional privilege and its application to government agencies.
1.30pm for 2.00pm - 5.00pm
$687 per person
$618 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$584 per person if in a group of three or more
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.