Compulsory Acquisition of Land – How to Negotiate Compensation Claims, Prepare for Mediation, and Conduct Land Court Proceedings
Get in touch information is loading
When land is compulsorily acquired in Queensland the affected land owner, and any person with an interest in the land, is entitled to claim compensation. The negotiation of compensation can be a difficult process. Ultimately, if the parties cannot agree on the compensation amount, then either party may refer the matter to the Land Court for determination.
Understanding some of the twists and turns in the negotiation and mediation process can help in reaching agreement on the compensation payable. If agreement cannot be reached, there are steps that can be taken during the negotiation phase to help you prepare your organisation in case the matter is eventually referred to the Land Court.
This workshop is offered by our expert team drawing on their experiences negotiating compensation claims. We’ll walk you through the negotiation and mediation processes and discuss how Land Court proceedings should be conducted. We’ll flag the risks at each stage of the process.
The workshop will focus on strategies and processes to assist you to finalise compensation claims as quickly as possible.
Who should attend our Compulsory Acquisition of Land workshop?
Personnel in government departments, Government-owned corporations, statutory authorities and local governments involved in, or with an interest in, land acquisition issues.
What we'll cover
- Negotiation strategies
- Road blocks to negotiations
- Managing the relationship with claimants
- Working with your experts
- How to refer a claim to the Land Court
- What issues are dealt with in a Land Court hearing?
- Conducting disclosure and your obligation
- What are “without prejudice” negotiations?
- Getting the best out of a mediation
- Maintaining legal professional privilege
- Typical court documents and what will be addressed in the evidence
- Joint and individual expert reports
- When can parties seek costs in the Land Court?
What you'll learn
- How to effectively negotiate a claim for compensation
- How to manage the negotiation, mediation and Court processes
- How to maximise the contribution of your experts.
Further training available in Brisbane:
8.45am for 9.00am - 12.45pm
$687 per person
$618 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$584 per person if in a group of three or more
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
What our clients say about our Compulsory Acquisition of Land workshop
“Excellent practical information. Interactive sessions extremely useful for gaining different perspective and raising topical issue questions for further discussion.”
“Both of the presenters have wide ranging and relevant experiences.”
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.