Advanced Government Decision-Making and Statutory Interpretation
Get in touch information is loading
Recent developments highlight the growing complexity of government and Ministerial decision-making, and how the success and validity of government programs can often hinge on the correct interpretation of legislation.
This workshop will examine the administrative processes that are essential in making good decisions, the key principles of interpreting legislation, and the hidden traps and risks that are commonly associated with these tasks.
Who should attend our Advanced Government Decision-Making and Statutory Interpretation workshop?
- Senior government officers who make advanced decisions
- Anyone who is involved in providing advice or briefing notes to Ministers or senior decision-makers
- Government officers of all levels who interpret and apply legislation.
What we'll cover
Advanced Government Decision-Making
- Establishing proper authority for the decision-making process
- The fundamental steps to be followed in developing a lawful decision-making process
- The identification, gathering and analysis of relevant evidence
- The difficulties arising from the receipt of confidential or informant information
- The proper handling of legal advice and inadvertent waiver of legal professional privilege
- The obligations imposed by the rules of natural justice and the development of practical procedures to comply with them
- Legal issues in relation to briefing notes
- Processes and drafting of statements of reasons
- Avoiding liability issues including negligence, damages and misfeasance in public office
- Recent legislative developments.
- Sources of statutory interpretation principles
- Fundamental common law rules
- The role of explanatory notes, second reading speeches or other extrinsic material
- Grammatical aids
- The interpretation of repealing Acts, amending Acts and Acts incorporating other statutes
- The role of legal assumptions
- Syntactical assumptions
- Practical examples and recent High Court case law.
What you'll learn
This workshop will provide you with:
- An understanding of recent developments in administrative and statutory interpretation law
- A highly regarded decision-making model which you can apply back at work
- Practical skills in preparing briefing notes and statements of reasons
- The ability to apply an objective and structured approach to interpreting legislation
- Knowledge about identifying and avoiding potential risks and issues.
2-3 July 2020|24-25 September 2020
8.45am for 9.00am - 4.45pm
$2,789 per person
$2,510 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$2,371 per person if in a group of three or more
Darwin: DoubleTree by Hilton
116 The Esplanade
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
What our clients say about our Advanced Government Decision-Making workshop
"The content is rigorous and exceedingly high quality. A wonderful refresher. Interesting to track new developments in this space."
"Barry has excellent content knowledge. He provided good examples of workplace issues/matters relevant to my field work."
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.