Advanced Government Decision-Making
Brisbane: 22 May 2018 |
14 November 2018
Darwin: 21 September 2018
8.45am for 9.00am - 4.45pm
$1,346 per person
$1,212 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$1,144 per person if in a group of three or more
Brisbane: Level 28, Riparian Plaza,
71 Eagle Street
Darwin: Hilton Darwin, 32 Mitchell Street
||Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Public Sector Law Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
Government and Ministerial decision-making is becoming increasingly complex. Recent developments continue to highlight the complexity of administrative law principles and the liability issues relating to administrative decision-making.
This workshop examines the administrative processes that are essential in making good decisions and the key issues to be aware of.
Who should attend?
- Senior government officers who make advanced decisions
- Anyone who is involved in providing advice or briefing notes to Ministers or senior decision-makers.
What we'll cover
- Establishing proper authority for the decision-making process
- The fundamental steps to be followed in developing a lawful decision-making process
- The identification, gathering and analysis of relevant evidence
- The difficulties arising from the receipt of confidential or informant information
- The proper handling of legal advice and inadvertent waiver of legal professional privilege
- The obligations imposed by the rules of natural justice and the development of practical procedures to comply with these obligations
- Legal issues in relation to briefing notes
- Processes and drafting of statements of reasons
- Avoiding liability issues including negligence, damages and misfeasance in public office
- Recent legislative developments.
What you'll learn
This workshop will provide you and your department with the ability to make better decisions through:
- An understanding of recent developments in administrative law
- A highly regarded decision-making model which you can immediately apply back at work
- Practical skills in preparing briefing notes and statements of reasons
- Knowing how to identify and avoid potential risks and issues.
What our clients say
"The use of real life examples
to illustrate theory was
"The course was very relevant
to those of us dealing with
statutory processes in our
work activities. I would
definitely recommend this
course to my colleagues."
"Barry has a wealth of
experience. His knowledge of
case law and examples is terrific."
"Overall, the training has given me more confidence in decision-making, and to see that even complex cases can be dealt with in the same manner as more simple cases by using the process."
"Excellent course to clarify some common questions that we deal with daily."
"Context and practical discussion spot on! Covers all the bases, perfectly targeted for me. Great mix of theory, practical and interaction with others in workshopping."
"Very professional, funny, good flow (not boring!). Probably the best presenter in years - interesting!"
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.