Intensive Negotiation Skills
Get in touch information is loading
In partnership with Resolution Institute, we're pleased to offer Michael Klug's popular Intensive Negotiation Skills workshop in Auckland.
Your ability to negotiate effectively and achieve defined objectives is critical to your business success. We’ve all seen unresolved conflicts derail even the most important projects, resulting in costly delays.
This cutting-edge training program is run by Michael Klug AM, one of Australia’s best-known trainers in negotiation, conflict management and dispute resolution. Michael is passionate about helping you and your organisation achieve your business goals through developing your corporate negotiation competency. This two-day workshop is one of our most popular, because it gives you an intricate understanding of the negotiation process through to techniques of closing a deal.
On day one we’ll explore the core theory and practice of negotiation, focusing on your individual negotiation style and how negotiations work.
On day two you’ll learn how to make strategic decisions and position yourself in negotiations using highly practical and usable skills. You’ll be offered unique insights into why negotiation can be a counterintuitive discipline and when you should trust your instincts – and when you shouldn’t.
Who should attend our Intensive Negotiation Skills workshop
The program caters for everyone involved in the negotiation process, from trainees through to senior executives. We offer flexible training options to suit your needs.
All levels in business and government who wish to improve their negotiating performance. It’s strongly recommended for those in management roles.
What you’ll learn
You’ll emerge from this workshop with a powerful, highly effective and ethical style of negotiation, along with the practical skills and tools to:
- Preserve and enhance personal and commercial relationships
- Increase confidence and reduce stress when resolving conflicts
- Resolve disputes confidentially
- Reduce the costs of resolving conflict
- Increase profitability
- Create value in your negotiations
- Achieve optimal commercial outcomes.
Golden Rules of Negotiation
Throughout the workshop Michael will reveal the most important rules of negotiation and why no one can afford to ignore them.
Negotiator's toolkit – the nuts and bolts
Michael will arm you with a highly practical toolkit including:
- A negotiation worksheet to guide you through the negotiation planning process
- Checklists for effectively preparing for negotiation
- A constructive strategy for breaking through difficult negotiations.
Day One: Core Negotiation Skills
- Defining and understanding negotiation
- The two primary approaches
- Negotiation simulation
- How to manage the principal tensions of negotiation
- Biases affecting judgment
- Slow thinking vs fast thinking – Kahneman’s dual process theory
- Techniques for exercising sound judgment
- Ethical styles of negotiation
- Identify your individual style of negotiation (the result is confidential)
- How to adjust your negotiating style to suit the situation
- Characteristics of an effective negotiator
- Proficiency – identify your strengths and weaknesses (the result is confidential)
- Self-managed outcomes
- Bargaining – the contrast between distributive and integrative methods
- Strategies and tactics of integrative bargaining
- The green credit approach.
Day Two: Strategic Negotiation Skills
- Multi-party, multi-issue negotiations – a disciplined approach
- Negotiation simulation
- The six most common mistakes made by negotiators
- Checklists before closure
- How to plan for negotiation through a process of disciplined and methodical preparation – negotiation worksheet
- The benefits of MESOs (Multiple Equivalent Simultaneous Offers)
- Diagnostic checklist – a crucial discipline for closing a negotiation
- An unconditionally constructive strategy for dealing with difficult people
- How to manage team negotiations
- Negotiating about negotiation
- Re-booting – a unique process which negates your counterparty’s starting point
- Slow forward controlled momentum – impasse vs uncontrolled escalation
- Electronic connectivity – pluses and minuses
- Listening – what to do and how to do it
- How to manage streamed input and the biases that arise
- How to close.
Rydges Auckland, 59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street
Discount rates for Resolution Institute Members – Save $250 per person:
$2,246 per person
$1,996 per person if booking eight weeks before the workshop
$1,871 per person if in a group of three or more
Standard rates for non-members: Click here to become a member
$2,496 per person
$2,246 per person if booking eight weeks before the workshop
$2,121 per person if in a group of three or more
8.15am for 8.30am - 4.30pm
Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Negotiation Skills Brochure Subscribe
What our clients say about our Intensive Negotiation Skills workshop
"Thank you for such a brilliant training program. The experience was not only career enhancing, but life changing!"
"Michael's negotiation worksheet is extremely useful. It's been in regular use with our EBA discussions, a major customer complaint and a new contract agreement."
"Your program was extremely invigorating and useful. It has given me some great skills to utilise in my day-to-day work. I’ll definitely recommend it to others."
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.