Work Health and Safety and Environment Incident Response and Investigations
||Brisbane: 19 July 2018
8.15am for 8.30am - 4.45pm
$1,346 per person
$1,212 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$1,144 per person if in a group of three or more
Brisbane: Level 28, Riparian Plaza,
||Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Full Program Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
This workshop will explore practical issues and tips for effectively responding to and managing safety investigations under key Queensland legislation: the Work Health and Safety Act, Coal Mining Safety and Health Act, Petroleum and Gas Act, Environmental Protection Act, Nature Conservation Act, and the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act.
Who should attend?
- Workplace health and safety professionals
- Environmental advisers
- Managers and supervisors
- Anyone with responsibility for responding to safety and/or environmental incidents.
What we’ll cover
- What are the immediate steps you need to take including incident notification and management of the incident scene?
- Establishment of legal professional privilege
- Conducting an investigation
- Dealing with regulators – what are their powers and your obligations?
- Dealing with other third parties: media, insurers, police and unions
- How to manage your risk and implement safety improvements to prevent the same or similar incident from occurring again.
What you’ll learn
You’ll understand the key legal principles involved in managing a safety investigation, including:
- Immediate steps that need to be taken
- Conducting the safety investigation
- Using legal professional privilege for the protection of key documentation and when and how to seek advice
- How to communicate and deal with third parties involved including regulatory bodies.
- Gain practical legal insight into how to manage a safety investigation
- Be able to identify early key risks and put in place management strategies to proactively address identified risks
- Get access to the CU SAFE app and learn how it can help you in responding to and managing a workplace incident.
CU SAFE App
Whether in high risk and remote areas or in a corporate environment, the CU SAFE app will guide you through the incident response process, from the time an incident occurs through to commencing an investigation and post-incident measures. The practical step-by-step guide will ensure you follow best practice as well as statutory requirements.
CU SAFE helps with a wide range of incidents, including:
- Workplace safety incident or accident
- Environmental pollution or contamination
- Electrical incidents
- Incidents in the petroleum, gas and mining industries
- Accidents at the office
- Any other incidents caught by the work health and safety legislation in each State/Territory.
The CU SAFE app covers:
- Managing critical incident response teams and plans
- Practical steps for securing the incident site, minimising environmental harm and providing support to workers
- Internal and external notification
- Dealing with regulators and police, including interviews with regulators and their powers in each State or Territory
- Statutory reporting obligations in each State / Territory for the specific incident type
- Managing an investigation.
- The app is downloaded onto any device and can be used even without internet access – so it can be used when and where you need it.
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.