Taking the Risk Out of Environmental and Planning Approvals Decisions
||Brisbane: 8 August 2017
8.45am for 9.00am - 4.45pm
$1,306 per person
$1,176 per person if booking two weeks before the workshop
$1,111 per person if in a group of three or more
Brisbane: Level 28, Riparian Plaza,
||Phone 1800 882 110
Register Download Full Program Brochure Subscribe
Get in touch information is loading
When environmental or planning decisions are challenged in court, it is often the decision-making process, not the merits, that will be under attack. This master class designed for government and the private sector, is a deep dive into the decision-making process.
It will help proponents develop the criteria to bullet-proof their applications and strategies for legally sound decisions, and equip decision-makers with the tools to produce better decisions. We will examine decisions that are made at all levels of government – Commonwealth, State and local government – so you can understand when and how decisions can be challenged, and what you can do to protect them.
Who should attend?
- Decision-makers at all levels of Commonwealth, State and local government
- Officers who are responsible for assessing applications and providing briefing materials to decision-makers
- In-house counsel who provide legal advice on decision-making processes
- Developers and consultants who want to ensure their projects are not delayed by unnecessary legal challenges to the decision-making.
What we’ll cover
- The types of legal challenges in the context of environmental and planning decisions
- Who can bring legal challenges
- Understanding the grounds of legal challenge
- How the development application can be prepared to reduce risk of legal challenges
- How to prepare a brief to a decision-maker
- A step-by-step guide to the decision-making process
- Considerations for imposing legally sound conditions, including tips on drafting conditions
- How to manage interactions between decision-makers and applicants
- Responding to a request for reasons.
What you’ll learn
- Decision-makers and their officers will get the skills to make decisions that are legally defensible and protected from successful challenge
- Applicants will have strategies to help decision-makers to make decisions that are legally sound, including the essential steps from preparing the initial application, through to preparing assessment material.
What our clients say
"Very relevant and applicable. Good review and discussion of relevant acts."
"It really helped me to understand the processes buyers of land undergo when dealing with council and other approving authorities."
"The case studies were highly relevant and clearly explained the do's and don'ts. I will certainly be able to apply this tomorrow at the soonest!"
Support when you need it the most
As a participant of our program you'll have comfort in knowing that you can depend on us for ongoing support. Whether it be two weeks or two years after the workshop, you can call us at any time for a short, no-cost consultation.